It was 100yards downstream where the old ford used to be. In 1879 an Ayr watchmaker, Robert Templeton bequeathed his entire estate of £10,000 in trust for the rebuilding of the old bridge.
Twenty-eight years passed before the estate was settled and the decisions were completed. Administrators and engineers, having inspected the bridge, declared it irreparable and suggested knocking it down and starting again.
There is a tradition that the first bridge was founded by two maiden sisters , one of whom had seen her lover drown while fording the river.
The effigies of two women are reputed to have been carved on a stone on the east parapet and the faded remains could still be seen in the 19”: that is 10 shillings to the masons of Ayr bridge.