Speed dating newport gwent
Newport has been a port since medieval times, when Newport Castle was built by the Normans.
The town outgrew the earlier Roman town of Caerleon, immediately upstream, and gained its first charter in 1314.
According to legend, in the late 5th century Saint Woolos church was founded by Saint Gwynllyw, the patron saint of Newport and King of Gwynllwg.The settlement of 'Newport' is first mentioned as novo burgus established by Robert, Earl of Gloucester in 1126.) means 'New castle-on-Usk' (this is a shortened version of Castell Newydd ar Wysg) and this refers to the twelfth-century castle ruins near Newport city centre.It grew significantly in the 19th century, when its port became the focus of coal exports from the eastern valleys of South Wales.Until the rise of Cardiff from the 1850s, Newport was Wales' largest coal-exporting port. It is the largest urban area within the historic county boundaries of Monmouthshire and the preserved county of Gwent.
The church was certainly in existence by the 9th century and today has become Newport Cathedral, the seat of the Bishop of Monmouth.The Normans arrived from around 1088–1093 to build Newport Castle and river crossing downstream and the first Norman Lord of Newport was Robert Fitzhamon.